The debate is ongoing: Briggs and Riley vs Tumi luggage for frequent travelers searching for a high-quality product. Both of these companies are known for their resilient, good-looking choices with lots of extras to meet any travel need. It is our goal to sort through all the ads and reviews to compare the information that really counts.
Side by Side: Briggs and Riley vs TUMI
Here are some basic facts about each brand that may help an informed shopper to decide which brand is most appealing overall.
Comparing construction features
Briggs and Riley: All Briggs and Riley cases are constructed from high-quality materials such as 1680D Ballistic or other exclusive proprietary fabrics, with a Hybrid fiberglass frame that’s lightweight and adds flexibility, durability and shape retention. Most carry-on sizes do not include an integrated TSA lock, though the company does sell a TSA cable lock separately.
TUMI: TUMI has been well-known for incorporating new technology into high-quality luggage. TUMI rise began with the introduction of its soft-sided, ballistics nylon bags. The company has continued to add innovations, including its exclusive Tegris polypropylene hard-case material, the Omega Zipper Closure System, and integrated TSA locks. Some TUMI bags also include a USB port or other high-tech features.
Briggs and Riley: For travelers preferring two-wheels to four, Briggs and Riley is a premium choice. These cases are also recognized for their aircraft-grade aluminum, exterior-mounted telescoping handles that results in a flat interior packing space, and the handy clip system that allows a smaller bag to be attached to the front for easier carrying.
TUMI: Most, but not all, TUMI models feature a four spinner wheel system with protective bumpers. Although spinners are sometimes a weak point, there have been very few issues with the quality and durability of TUMI’s wheels. Also made from aircraft-grade aluminum, the telescoping handles are integrated for a sleeker look.
Expansion and Storage Features
Briggs and Riley: Many of their cases have expansion features, including the newly developed, highly rated, CX expansion technology on some upright and larger cases. There are also suiter options on all but the smallest carry-ons, along with several zippered organization pockets. The flat interior shape helps add wrinkle-free storage.
TUMI: TUMI also offers zippered expansion features on many of their bags. Most TUMI cases have multiple inner compartments, including a suiter section, mesh tie-down straps, and several smaller zipper compartments for wet and dry storage.
Briggs and Riley wins this round hands down with their lifetime warranty, which is one of the most impressive in the market. By comparison, TUMI offers a comprehensive five-year warranty that covers most damage the first year and some damage through year five.
TUMI has been a high-end company from the beginning, and its prices reflect this image. Briggs and Riley offers comparable products at more economical prices. So if budget is a major consideration, Briggs and Riley will also be the clear winner in this category. A further point on price, back to the warranty, with the purchase of a Briggs and Riley case, as it will be repaired or replaced no matter what, you have a case for life for a one-time purchase.
Individual Product Reviews From Each Brand
Briggs and Riley
This high-quality soft case features water, dirt, and abrasion-resistant 1680D ballistic nylon outer shell over a lightweight, hybrid fiberglass frame. The case also includes the exclusive Briggs and Riley CX compression system, which increases storage capacity by up to 25 percent. The bag is equipped with an inner suiter section and a convenient zippered front pocket. This is regarded by many in the travel industry as the best suitcase in existence for the high quality found in every detail.
- A serious 1680D Ballistic Nylon is used for the exterior to protect your belongings.
- Increased storage capacity with B&R exclusive expansion and compression system.
- No detail overlooked, and no space wasted there are excellent features all over.
- The telescoping handle is located outside of the case, so you don’t have to pack around it inside.
- Handles on three sides so that it can be easily lifted in any position.
- High-performance and durable wheels, seriously smooth movability.
- Available in 6 different sizes, including carry-on and larger checked luggage.
- Advertized dimensions may be INNER measurements. Need to verify that the bag will conform to required carry-on standards.
- Front zipper pocket will not hold a full-sized laptop.
This case features a fine-weave, proprietary nylon twill shell over its lightweight fiberglass frame. It’s moisture and abrasion-resistant, with an extra layer of ultra-durable Permasquare as bumpers. It also includes a suiter compartment and clip system for attaching a smaller bag for easy transport. The Transcend model also features Briggs and Riley’s impressive expansion and compression system as well the telescoping handles are on the outside so that you aren’t packing around them. Available in 5 different sizes, from carry-on to large checked luggage and in 5 colors.
- Constructed with fine-weave twill nylon that is moisture and abrasion-resistant.
- 2.5-inch increased storage capacity with B&R exclusive expansion and compression system.
- The telescoping handle is located outside of the case, so you don’t have to pack around it inside.
- Available in 5 different sizes, including carry-on and larger checked luggage.
- Includes a suiter compartment to protect your garments and a hook to hang them from.
- Some customers commented the handle is wobbly – but Briggs and Riley will fix that.
- Fewer interior organizing features, packing cubes may be required.
This ultra-light commuter bag is great for 1-3 day trips or even more with its expandable capability. There’s enough room for a full-sized laptop in the front zipper pocket and plenty of organizational options inside, including an EZ-Hook garment compression panel to keep clothes secure and wrinkle-free during transport.
The exterior is made from a few different durable materials, all strategically placed to offer the best protection to your items. Additionally, the zipper of the main compartment can accommodate a travel lock to secure your case. Airline grade aluminum is used for the telescoping handle that controls the two rugged wheels that transport the case.
- Large enough for 1 to 3 days away and offers expansion so you can carry even more.
- Great carry-on size to fit the size limitations of almost any airline
- Main compartment can be secured if you have a travel lock.
- Sturdy, well-designed bag with a strong handle and two reliable wheels.
- A few customers commented that the bag ‘collaspes’ when expanded and fully loaded.
- Only available as a carry-on option.
Constructed from TUMI’s patented FXT ballistic nylon, a soft-side case with hard-side reinforcements. This bag meets the carry-on requirements of most airlines. It’s great for weekend trips or international travel. The bag has several front zipper compartments for organizing, a built-in USB port (no charger), and a built-in TSA lock. The zip garment compartment requires special hangers, sold separately. The Alpha 3 is offered with the TUMI tracer program that aims to help reunite you with your luggage should it ever get lost.
- Convenient carry-on size for many airline size limits.
- Stylish and unique look and design, will definitely turn a head or two.
- Great front organization features with plenty of different areas to hold your items.
- Handles on three sides so that it can be easily lifted and moved from any position.
- Durability issues with zippers/frame
- Heavy for its class at over 13-pounds.
This Tegris hard-side case features four spinner wheels and an adjustable telescoping handle. Inside are two large compartments, a suiter section, multiple zip pockets, and mesh tie-down straps. There is also a front U-zip pocket and a 2-inch zipper expansion option. The exterior is made from an unshakeable hard plastic composite that is also used in Nascar race cars and protective gear for NFL players. And the main zippers have a built-in TSA-approved locking system to secure your items and simplify the TSA process.
- Same materials used in Nascar race cars and protective gear for NFL players.
- Sturdy, stable, double-spinner wheels that smoothly move in any direction.
- Tons of ways to organize and separate your items while packing.
- Zippered inner compartments keep contents secure when opening/closing case.
- TSA-approved locking system to help you breeze through airport security.
- Built-in luggage ID tag that is also very stylish in itself.
- Some durability problems with the handle.
- Shows scuffs and scratches easily.
This is a larger, hard-sided case for checked luggage, 30-inches to be exact. The stylish exterior is a woven SRPP Ballistic material, with four spinner wheels, adjustable handle, and low-profile TSA lock. The exterior is unique in the world of hard-side luggage as it is flexible and can adapt to its surroundings for greater durability. Along with two large inner packing compartments, the bag includes a hanger bracket, tie-down straps, and zipper pockets. Though the image here may depict a decidedly feminine-looking case, other colors make it look much more neutral.
- Lightweight for its size at just over 13-pounds.
- Flexible and durable, it is able to adapt to its surroundings.
- Smooth mobility on four very quiet yet durable spinner wheels.
- Built-in, low-profile, TSA-Approved locking system for the main compartment.
- Smooth and soft interior lining with multiple compartments to stay organized.
- Some people may not be fans of the swirly appearance of the case – it is less shimmery in real life.
Briggs and Riley vs TUMI Conclusion
For shorter trips, the Briggs and Riley BRX offers plenty of versatility in a small size. For longer trips, shared luggage or your just a fan of hard-side luggage, the larger TUMI Latitude is an excellent, dependable case. Though as mentioned above, the Briggs and Riley Baseline is, possibly, the greatest suitcase in existence, and it comes in carry-on size all the way up to large checked size, so you can find the size that you need.
Just make sure you have the proper measurements if you plan to use any case as carry-on luggage, especially on small international airlines. Both companies offer unique features for personal preference, and both continue to look to new innovations to meet practical travel needs now and in the future.