If you’re in a hurry and are here to find out what the best EDC backpack is then we recommend the eBags Professional Slim Laptop Backpack as the best one.
What is an EDC Backpack?
EDC backpack stands for “EveryDay Carry Backpack,” and it is exactly what the name denotes! It’s a backpack that is smaller and easy to carry around every day. This type of bag is designed to hold the essentials that you will need for a day out and is perfect to use on vacation, and all other times too!
I’ve found that the best bag to carry, while you’re sightseeing during the day or even on a night out on the town, is an everyday carry (EDC) backpack. The best EDC backpacks are typically sleek and compact so they are a breeze to carry around for hours on end!
Here are the best EDC Backpacks that we will be reviewing:
- Fjallraven Classic Backpack for Everyday
- Hynes Eagle 28L Aurora Travel Backpack
- Osprey Daylite Plus Daypack
- Herschel Supply Co. Pop Quiz Backpack
- eBags Professional Slim Laptop Backpack
Why Do I Need an EDC Backpack?
When you’re sightseeing on vacation, the last thing you want is to lug around a heavy bag. Not only is it tiring to carry a large, bulky bag, but it’s also sometimes awkward to find a place to store it in small restaurants or cafes.
These bags are perfect for anyone who likes to pack all the things they might need “just in case.” No one wants to have to run back to their hotel room in the middle of their day of sightseeing just because they forgot their phone charger or umbrella. With an EDC backpack, you can pack everything you could possibly need during your day out.
I’ve been in multiple situations where I left something behind in the hotel because I was trying to pack light or didn’t have a way to carry it, and then ended up needing it while I was out! While on vacation in Brussels, we left our hotel early in the morning and weren’t planning on going back until late that night. My bag options were a large purse or a bulky backpack, neither of which I wanted to carry around for hours on end. I stuffed just my essentials into my pockets and headed out.
Later that night, when it was time to walk back to our apartment rental, I grabbed my phone to pull up the walking directions. To my horror, my phone was dead! We weren’t familiar with the layout of the city and had no idea which way to walk to our apartment. At that moment, I really wished that I had packed my portable phone charger, but I didn’t have anywhere to store it!
Finally, after a lot of walking in circles, we ended up on a street we recognized and found our apartment rental. However, we could have saved a lot of time and frustration if I’d had an easy-to-carry bag to hold my essentials.
What’s the Best Way to Use an EDC Backpack?
Daily essentials differ for each person, but you’ll want to pack everything you will need to use during a day out in your EDC backpack. Here are a few items that you might find helpful to pack while traveling.
- Wallet with money and credit cards
- Cell phone
- Phone and tablet charger
- Portable charger
- Snacks, such as granola bars and nuts
- Water bottle
- Pen (because you can never find a pen when you need one!)
- Travel information, such as your hotel address
- Hotel room key
- ID other than a passport (it’s a good idea to leave your passport locked in your hotel room)
- Small, compact umbrella or rain jacket
Try to make sure you don’t overpack, but also make sure that you have everything that you will need so you won’t have to go back to the hotel and lose valuable sightseeing time! With an EDC backpack, you can balance having everything you need without having a heavy or bulky bag.
What Should I Look for in an EDC Backpack?
The best EDC backpacks are compact and organized. You’ll want to find a bag that is lightweight and small enough that it won’t be a burden to carry around, but with large enough compartments to carry all of your essentials.
It is a good idea to look for a bag with interior organizational compartments because keeping your items organized is essential to your trip going smoothly. It’s always a pain when you need to find something quickly but have to rummage in the bottom of your bag to find it!
Which EDC Backpack is Best for Me?
There are many brands with EDC backpacks with many different features. We reviewed the 5 best EDC backpacks on the market today so you can choose which one is the best bag for you!
The Top 5 EDC Backpacks
This backpack features the same classic Kanken design that the company has used since 1978, so it is perfect for lovers of retro-style bags! It has a large and spacious main compartment, a front zippered pocket, and two open side pockets.
Constructed from a material called Vinylon F, the Kanken is dirt-resistant, water-resistant, and wipes clean. These are all great features to have during travel! You won’t have to worry about being caught in the rain or putting your bag down on dirty floors. Your belongings will stay dry and the bag will wipe clean at the end of the day.
This bag is available in a variety of different colors, so you’re sure to find one that’s right for you.
- Very spacious and roomy main compartment.
- Trendy and stylish classic design.
- Handy sized front pocket.
- Two side pockets for a water bottle and a small umbrella.
- Can wipe clean easily while being dirt and water-resistant.
- Huge selection of colors to choose from and match your style to.
- Interior compartment is not divided for organization.
The versatile Hynes Eagle EDC bag can be worn as a backpack or a crossbody bag. It has a sleek and stylish design, professional enough for business travel and fashionable enough for personal travel.
This bag is extremely roomy, with the space inside rivaling that of a small suitcase. It features a clamshell opening design, which makes it easy to retrieve your belongings. It has multiple organizational compartments and mesh dividers, allowing you to keep everything neat and organized.
The straps are padded and comfortable, complete with a sternum strap to keep the weight of the bag distributed properly. This bag could easily be used as a carry-on bag on a flight and then as your everyday bag during your travels.
- Large and spacious, room to pack everything you’ll need for the day.
- Stylish and looks professional enough for work or play.
- Small enough to fit under an airplane seat but holds enough to be your carry-on.
- Several interior and exterior pockets with superb organization.
- Wear it as a backpack or as a crossbody pack with versatily strap options.
- Clamshell style of opening allows quick and convenient access to your items.
- Slightly heavier than other similar backpacks.
The Osprey Packs Daylite Plus is sleek with a compact design, yet is very spacious inside. It features a large, zippered main compartment, a front pocket with a mesh organizer and a key clip, an interior pocket that can hold a hydration pack or a laptop, and several other exterior pockets.
This bag is constructed from mesh-covered die-cut foam and is very comfortable on your back. It includes a sternum clip to distribute weight properly. It can even be attached to several of Osprey’s larger backpacks if you are going on an overnight hiking trip or just need more space.
It’s available in a variety of colors, so you can choose your favorite, and this pack comes with Osprey’s “All Mighty Guarantee”, where they’ll repair or replace any damage or defects on your pack free of charge. You’ll never need to buy another backpack!
- Very comfortable to carry and molds to your back and shoulders.
- Comes with Osprey’s unbeatable “All Mighty Guarantee” – the best in the biz (and on this list).
- Multiple pockets and sleeves for storage.
- Good storage space while maintaining a slick look.
- Built-in hydration pocket that can double as a laptop sleeve.
- Sternum strap will help to better distribute weight for a comfier carry.
- Doesn’t include an organizer in the main compartment.
- Smaller interior than some other EDC backpacks.
The Herschel Supply Co. Pop Quiz backpack is lightweight and perfect to carry as your EDC backpack. It features a large main compartment, a zippered front pocket, and an open pocket on each side. This bag would be a great choice for someone who is interested in carrying only the essentials and keeping their bag light and their look classic.
Just like all of Herschel’s designs, this bag has a sleek and clean aesthetic with sublime attention to detail. It’s stylish and would be great for personal or business travel. The pack is sturdy enough to stand up on its own and features a protective layer on the bottom to help prevent tears or other damage.
It comes in a variety of bold, bright colors and designs so you can match your bag to your personality.
- Stylish and clean aesthetic with great patterns inside.
- Spacious interior with a padded 15″ laptop holder.
- Organizational options for your smaller items in the front pocket.
- Protective layer on the bottom to protect from tears or abrasions.
- Many vibrant prints and colors to choose from to match your style to.
- Waterproof zipper lining to keep water out.
- There are only 4 pockets on this bag and no side pockets.
This bag has a slim design even though it is capable of holding a ton of items! It has a dedicated laptop sleeve and multiple pockets and interior organizers. It also includes a pass-through sleeve on the back to easily secure your bag to the handle on your rolling luggage.
It is breathable and comfortable, with a padded mesh backing. The shoulder straps are comfortable to wear and it includes an adjustable sternum strap.
With dedicated compartments for all of your essentials, such as your laptop, charger, water bottle, and phone, everything is easy to access and frustration-free!
- Many pockets and organizers while keeping a sleek appearance.
- Comfortable to carry for long periods of time.
- Capable of carrying a ton of items.
- Dedicated spots for all of your essentials.
- Attaches to luggage with a pass-through sleeve.
- Hugely trusted brand in the industry.
- It can get heavy quickly.
Best EDC Backpack Conclusion
After reviewing these 5 EDC backpacks, the eBags Professional Slim Laptop Backpack stood out as our clear favorite!
We really liked the many pockets and organizers that this bag has. While traveling, it can be difficult to find things quickly when a bag only has a giant main compartment without interior dividers and pockets. The eBags backpack has dedicated pockets for all of your essentials, so you’ll always know right where they are.
It has a slim design and fits nicely on your back. It’s also very comfortable to carry, which is an important feature because your EDC backpack will be on your back a lot! The shoulder straps are padded and comfortable, and the adjustable sternum clip helps distribute the weight of the backpack very well. This is especially helpful when the bag is packed to full capacity and heavy.
It’s spacious enough to be used as a carry-on bag on an airplane, and it will fit comfortably under your seat. Once you arrive at your hotel and unpack, the same bag can be used while you’re out sightseeing! It’s also versatile enough to be used for school, work, or day hikes.
This bag is sturdy and holds up well to lots of use. It comes in 4 neutral colors which look great for both personal and business travel. It includes all of the features you could possibly need in an EDC backpack, all while looking sleek and fashionable!